There are many excellent reasons for veterans to make Florida their home—but the state’s efforts to help them cut costs are chief among them.
To express appreciation for the huge price veterans have paid in serving their country, Florida provides many programs that reduce the cost of goods, services and experiences for them. These initiatives support both disabled and non-disabled veterans, benefiting their housing situations, education and general lifestyle, and enhancing their financial stability and peace of mind. Below is a list of the main discounts available to veterans in Florida.
Discounts and Free Items for All Veterans
Financial stability and peace of mind for those who have served are top priorities in Florida.
Cost Savings for Disabled Veterans
- Homestead property tax exemption of $5,000 in addition to the standard exemption of $25,000 that every Florida resident gets for disabled veterans.
- 100% homestead property tax exemption for veterans with a 100% total and permanent service-connected disability if the veterans is a permanent resident of Florida and has legal title to the property on January 1 of the tax year for which the exemption is being claimed
- No county or municipal building improvement permit or license fees to make improvements to a dwelling that make it habitable or safe for veterans with a 100% total and permanent service-connected disability (some restrictions apply)
- Free driver’s license and state ID for veterans with a 100% total and permanent service-connected disability
- One free Disabled Veteran (DV) motor vehicle license plate for an owned or leased vehicle for veterans with a 100% total and permanent service-connected disability
- Free handicapped toll permit for licensed drivers who operate a vehicle specially equipped for the handicapped, and are certified as having permanent disabilities affecting their ability to deposit coins in toll baskets
- No $10 state commission fee for commission as a notary public to veterans with wartime service who have a 50 percent or higher service-connected disability
- Free 5-year state hunting and fishing licenses and permits for veterans with a 100% total and permanent disability
- Free access to specialized hunting and fishing areas and outings adapted to special needs for veterans with combat-related injuries
- Free lifetime annual pass to any Florida State Park for veterans with service-related disabilities
- Prepaid 4-year scholarship program covering tuition and registration fees for Florida-based spouses and children of veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who have been certified as having a 100% permanent disability rating—through the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans program (CSDDV)